Are only 6% of the reported COVID-19 deaths due to COVID-19?

No. That is just conspiracy nut jobs proving how stupid they are.

No, the claim that only 6% of reported COVID-19 deaths are due to COVID-19 is based on a misinterpretation of data. The claim originated from a misreading of a weekly report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that described the underlying health conditions of people who had died from COVID-19 in the United States.

The report stated that 6% of the deaths had COVID-19 listed as the only cause of death, while the other 94% had additional underlying health conditions listed as contributing factors. However, this does not mean that only 6% of the reported COVID-19 deaths were actually caused by COVID-19. In fact, the report explicitly states that COVID-19 was listed as a contributing factor in all of the deaths.

COVID-19 can be a primary or contributing cause of death, depending on the individual case. It is also important to note that COVID-19 can cause serious health complications in people with underlying health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, or respiratory illnesses, which can contribute to their death.

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the CDC consider COVID-19 to be a major public health threat and a leading cause of death worldwide. It is important to rely on factual and scientifically supported information when discussing the impact of COVID-19 on public health.

Resources for: Are only 6% of the reported COVID-19 deaths due to COVID-19?

From Respectful Insolence: The “only 6%” gambit: The latest viral COVID-19 disinformation


From YouTube: The CDC did not remove 94% of COVID deaths

From MetaBunk: Claim: Only 6% of COVID deaths are “real” – the rest died due to comorbidities

From FactCheck: CDC Did Not ‘Admit Only 6%’ of Recorded Deaths from COVID-19

From the Logic of Science: COVID comorbidities are not analogous to car crashes: Debunking the 6% mortality claim

Please note:

If you have any credible sources that stack up to scrutiny and can actually refute the points made the above, then please contact us.

Escaping the Rabbit Hole: How to Debunk Conspiracy Theories Using Facts, Logic, and Respect
  • Hardcover Book
  • West, Mick (Author)
  • English (Publication Language)
  • 304 Pages - 09/18/2018 (Publication Date) - Skyhorse Publishing (Publisher)
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
  • Novella, Steven (Author)
  • English (Publication Language)
  • 528 Pages - 12/03/2019 (Publication Date) - Grand Central Publishing (Publisher)
The Death of Expertise: The Campaign against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters
  • Nichols, Tom (Author)
  • English (Publication Language)
  • 280 Pages - 10/01/2018 (Publication Date) - Oxford University Press (Publisher)
The Doctor Who Fooled the World: Science, Deception, and the War on Vaccines
  • Hardcover Book
  • Deer, Brian (Author)
  • English (Publication Language)
  • 408 Pages - 09/29/2020 (Publication Date) - Johns Hopkins University Press (Publisher)

I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.